El Clasico (Super Clasico) – more than a match
El Clásico is the name given to any football match between FC Barcelona and Real Madrid. Some editor use the name Super Clasico as well. Another one use Super Clasico, only for competition final games between FC Barcelona and Real Madrid. It is described as more than a match, because it is not only FC Barcelona vs Real Madrid. The rivalry starts as about Barcelona and Madrid are the two biggest cities in Spain, the two football clubs are two of the richest, most successful and influential football clubs, not only in Spain, but all over the world.
Apart from this, the rivalry also has political significance. Through the years Barcelona had the reputation as a symbol of Catalan pride, traditions and identity, against the centralising tendencies of Madrid. In El Clasico Real Madrid is representing Spanish nationalism, while Barcelona representing the Catalanism. Real Madrid was under the protection of Franco’s dictatorship. Barcelona was resentful because Franco made it illegal to speak Catalan, even arrested and executed Barcelona president Josep Sunyol(also a member of the Republican Left of Catalonia and Deputy to The Cortes) without a trial.
El Clasico statistics
The first ever El Clásico was played on 13 May 1902. It was played for Copa de la Coronación, the forerunner of the Copa del Rey, but the Spanish Football Assosiation does not recognize the competition as official. Barcelona had won the game 3-1. There are 221 official Barcelona vs Real Madrid games. Real Madrid leads with 88 wins, Barcelona 86 and 47 draws. Barcelona had score 358 goals, against 372 for Real Madrid in Clasicos.
El Clasico statistics by tournament:
- FC Barcelona vs Real Madrid had been played 165 times in La Liga. Real Madrid win 69 of the matches. 64 wins for FC Barcelona in Primera Division and there are 32 draws
- Spanish SuperCup – this is a championship contested by the winners of the La Liga and the Copa del Rey. 6 wins for Real, 4 for Barca and 2 draws. SuperCup Clasicos are also known as Super Clasico
- FC Barcelona vs Real Madrid in UEFA Champions league – there is a bit advance for Real Madrid in Champions League. 3 wins for Real, 2 for Barcelona and 3 draws
- There were 30 El Clasicos in Copa Del Rey. Catalans’ Copa Del Rey wins are 14 against 10 for Real Madrid and 6 draws. In 2010-2011 season was the last played Super Clasico in the tournament. Real won 1-0 after extra time
El Clasico curious facts
- El Clasico has been played one the exact same day two season in a row – 29.11. The two La Liga seasons are: 2009-2010, 2010-2011
- 21 players have moved from Barcelona to Real Madrid, but only 12 have moved to Barcelona from Real Madrid
- The all time top goal scorers in El Clasicos are argentinians – Alfredo Di Stefano, Lionel Messi
- Only one footballer played for and scored for both teams in El Clasicos - Luiz Nazario de Lima Ronaldo
- The biggest win for Real Madrid in Clasico is 11-1 (13.6.1943)
- The biggest win for FC Barcelona vs Real Madrid is 7-2 (24.9.1950)
- 7 consecutive wins for Real Madrid (1962-1965), 5 for Barca (2008-2010)
- FC Barcelona had made the longest undefeated run in Clasicos (13 games)